by Angela Chagnon
Senator Bernie Sanders is offering what his website calls “The Sanders Solution” to reduce America’s debt. As is customary with Sanders’ way of thinking, his plan is mostly dependent on raising taxes and punishing “millionaires and billionaires”.
Some of Bernie’s ideas:
· Repeal “Bush-era tax breaks for the top 2 percent of Americans.”
· 5.4% “surtax on millionaires and billionaires”
· A “Wall Street speculation fee of less than 1 percent on the sale and purchase of credit default swaps, derivatives, stock options and futures”
· Instituting a capital gains and dividends tax
· “A progressive estate tax” on inheritances over $3.5 million
· And, of course, reduce military spending.
Sanders also mentions doing away with tax breaks and subsidies for “big oil and gas companies” and ending “offshore tax shelters”. Not until his last point does he suggest eliminating waste, fraud and abuse.
Read about “Sanders’ Solution” his website here.